10 Steps to take after an Automobile Accident
- Stop Your Vehicle – Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime.
- Call the police – Wait for the police to arrive. Be truthful. Tell the officer exactly how the accident happened. Make sure to tell the officer if you are injured or if passengers are injured.
- Exchange information – You will want to obtain the other driver’s insurance information. The officer usually obtains this information, but you also want to have a record for yourself. Your insurance information and the other driver’s insurance information will be on the police report. This information will then be used by your attorney to set up a third party claim. Get the names and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos of the scene – Take photos of your vehicle and any other vehicles in the accident. Take photos of the scene.
- Take photos of your injuries
- Receive medical treatment within 14 days of the accident – Your insurance company will not pay your PIP benefits (Up to $10,000 in medical bills) if you do not go to a medical doctor, chiropractor or dentist within 14 days of the accident.
- Call your insurance company – Call your insurance company and report the accident. Failure to do so may void coverage. However, do not give a recorded statement. Your insurance company will look for ways to deny your coverage. Don’t give a recorded statement without your attorney’s instruction.
- Do not speak to any other insurance company about the accident – If the at-fault party’s insurance carrier calls you, tell the representative that you are represented by an attorney. Many times, insurance carriers will attempt to settle bodily injury claims quickly for insufficient amounts of money. Don’t let this happen to you.
- Do not speak to anyone else about the accident.
- Speak to an attorney – Call us at (561)-588-2781 so that we can determine if you have a potential bodily injury claim against an at-fault party or an underinsured/uninsured motorist claim against an insurance carrier.
Motor vehicle accident lawyers
Call us at 561-588-2781