DUI Attorneys Palm Beach and Broward County
A person arrested for a first DUI often has little to no criminal record. In many cases, the person arrested simply made a poor decision. People make mistakes, but mistakes do not have to ruin a person’s life. This is why it is crucial to contact a criminal defense attorney to investigate your case.
Additionally, a DUI charge can often be reduced to a reckless driving charge when the prosecutor feels that he or she may have difficulty proving their case beyond a reasonable doubt, a very high burden of proof. A DUI reduction to reckless driving allows a client to avoid the stigma of a DUI conviction.
DUI First Offense Mandatory Penalties
- Jail: Minimum of 0 days to a Maximum of 180 days in jail*
- Probation: Minimum of 6 months to a Maximum of 12 months
- Fine: $500 to $1,000**
- Driver’s License Suspension: 6 to 12 months from the date of conviction.
- DUI School: Level 1
- Community Service: 50 hours (May be “bought out” at a rate of $10 per hour if the person’s job obligations create an undue hardship).
- Vehicle Impoundment: 10 days
- Ignition Interlock Device: Only mandatory if a person under the age of 18 was in the vehicle, or if the defendant’s breath or blood alcohol level was 0.15 or higher.
If you have been arrested for a DUI, please contact a
Palm Beach criminal defense lawyer at Bottari & Doyle today for a free consultation.
*The maximum jail time increases to 270 days if the defendant’s breath or blood alcohol level was 0.15 or higher, or if a person under the age of 18 was in the vehicle. The maximum jail time increases to 1 year if the defendant caused or contributed to causing property damage or bodily injury.
**The fine range increases to $1,000 to $2,000 if the defendant’s blood alcohol level or breath alcohol level was .15 or higher, or if a person under 18 was in the vehicle.